PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

what do you do when you're disgusted by your art?

Forum Index > Other > Miscellaneous >

Spamtonium's AvatarSpamtonium
see title. i've become absolutely disgusted by my digital or traditional art and it's really sad. i grew up constantly drawing and designing characters, and then over time i've become less and less happy with my art... i know nobody's perfect and practice helps you improve and all that, but nowadays i get so frustrated and genuinely disgusted with my artwork that i avoid drawing for months at a time. which i'm sure isn't helping me improve... i just get so sad about how much time i've wasted being sad already, and frustrated that i can't express myself the way i used to. i *want* to draw, the idea of it is fun and i'd like to show people the stories i have in my head, but... i'm in this awful loop of being frustrated at how bad my art looks, and then not being able to draw because it makes me so frustrated. the whole thing's really awful. i've been considering getting back into drawing pokemon since that was my biggest inspiration when i was younger, but it would definitely have the same result and i just don't know how to cope when drawing upsets me this bad.
Lv. 17 — 476 / 919
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
Water
Happiness 27%
Mild nature
Lv. 33 — 4,189 / 4,209
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
IceGround
Happiness 27%
Timid nature
Lv. 28 — 407 / 2,169
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
IceWater
Happiness 27%
Docile nature
EstherGamer's AvatarEstherGamer
Whenever I'm not proud of a drawing, usually I just step back for a little while (even if I had plans for other drawings the next day or something), finish up a few other things, then draw a different character instead of trying again. A little while ago I tried to draw my character Fen but it turned out horribly compared to the drawings I had made right before (I was on a good streak...), after which I stepped back, finished a character design I had been stuck on, did some other stuff, and then drew the new character and he turned out amazing. Taking breaks is always a good idea if you feel demotivated, otherwise you're just forcing yourself to do it without having any fun. I have drawings I really want to make, but because of current events in my life I just have no energy for it. So I'm just playing games, building in terraria, designing a new character or two, and while my reference images for one of my upcoming drawings are still open I won't use them until I'm back on track mentally, which should hopefully be sooner rather than later. At the same time, sometimes the only way to get out of no-motivation-land is to just go for it anyway, usually by starting simple and working back to your normal skills. Hopefully this helps, even if only a little. Editing to add: This might sound odd, but I'd also suggest keeping old drawings stored in their own folder away from newer ones, that way if you ever feel your current art is bad you can look at the old art as a reminder that it's not as bad as it used to be!
Avatar is an edited version of Sky Forme Shaymin's portrait from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, edited by me. (Sprite by me)

QUOTE originally posted by EstherGamer

At the same time, sometimes the only way to get out of no-motivation-land is to just go for it anyway, usually by starting simple and working back to your normal skills. Hopefully this helps, even if only a little.
thanks, it does help a lot. right now i can't decide if i'm at the point where i need to just push through it, or i should take a break entirely. i think after reading this i've decided i'm gonna try one or two more times to just go for it anyway with some simple things like you mentioned, and i think if that still has me feeling sick i'll take a break i guess.

Editing to add: This might sound odd, but I'd also suggest keeping old drawings stored in their own folder away from newer ones, that way if you ever feel your current art is bad you can look at the old art as a reminder that it's not as bad as it used to be!
that's actually a really good idea. i'll have to figure out where best to store it but this might be helpful for me. thanks a lot /gen
StarlessSky's AvatarStarlessSky
Stuff said drawing into the furthest depths of a virtual/real folder and never look at it again. Or delete it :D
Avatar made for me by VanillaDemon of my OC. Made by angelatos! Sky; She/her; I am the kind of person to quote verbatim from Jane Eyre. Unprompted. In text conversations. Beware. ^^My first shiny hatched
Steogem's AvatarSteogem
whenever im sick of bashing my head against a particular piece i just... pull out mspaint. it's strange but all the pressure i put on myself just disappears when i use mspaint, probably because its such a simple program and no one expects masterpieces from it :') its kind of refreshing tbh, i like my mspaint art because its more messy and dynamic than my usual stuff. so yeah, take a break with mspaint! you'll feel less pressure to make "good" stuff i think!
AlastorStar's AvatarAlastorStar
I hate my pfp. I force myself to like it by goggling at it for hours. i actually quite like my pfp now.
Alastor - He/They - Asexual Image is Alastor (Hazbin Hotel) drawn by me. Alastor is owned by Vivziepop.

Whenever I'm not proud of a drawing, usually I just step back for a little while (even if I had plans for other drawings the next day or something), finish up a few other things, then draw a different character instead of trying again. A little while ago I tried to draw my character Fen but it turned out horribly compared to the drawings I had made right before (I was on a good streak...), after which I stepped back, finished a character design I had been stuck on, did some other stuff, and then drew the new character and he turned out amazing. Taking breaks is always a good idea if you feel demotivated, otherwise you're just forcing yourself to do it without having any fun. I have drawings I really want to make, but because of current events in my life I just have no energy for it. So I'm just playing games, building in terraria, designing a new character or two, and while my reference images for one of my upcoming drawings are still open I won't use them until I'm back on track mentally, which should hopefully be sooner rather than later. At the same time, sometimes the only way to get out of no-motivation-land is to just go for it anyway, usually by starting simple and working back to your normal skills. Hopefully this helps, even if only a little. Editing to add: This might sound odd, but I'd also suggest keeping old drawings stored in their own folder away from newer ones, that way if you ever feel your current art is bad you can look at the old art as a reminder that it's not as bad as it used to be!
keeping old drawings away from newer ones was a really good idea, thank you for that. i think it's helping me a lot.

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page