PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Interaction experimental update

Forum Index > Core > Announcements >

Pages: 123··· 789

Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
As I'm sure many of you have noticed, the game... lags. I'm working on it! Here is an experiment I am planning to run shortly, along with motivations and expectations.
Update May 9th First let's discuss why interactions are so laggy. What actually happens when you make an interaction? Well first of all the interaction isn't actually sent for up to half a second. This allows you to make more than a single interaction, and only after that half-second passes with no further additions does the batched interaction actually get sent. In this way, up to 12 interactions (party+showcase) or 40 interactions (fields) can be queued up and sent off to be processed in one go. This is good because it means that the server can just load up certain unchanging aspects, such as bonus counters and your various EXP bonuses, just once and then use that for all the interactions. Once the batch arrives, here is a step-by-step of what the code does:

Warning: long!

1. For backwards-compatibility, the system supports "a berry ID and list of targets" in addition to the newer "array of batched interaction objects". Since the code is so old, I can't be completely certain that there isn't still some system using the old style, so first it gets converted to the new style if necessary. 2. Decode the ID of each interaction and validate that the berry being fed is valid. 3. Assert that the count is not over 40 (triggers "interaction overload" error which shouldn't happen, but may occur when some click-fast CSS is used) 4. Ensure that the "token" is correct and corresponds to the interaction data. This uses some fairly rudimentary "encryption" (where the key is embedded in the source code so not exactly "secure"!) to ensure that it is in fact PFQ's code, or at least a relatively recent clone of it, that is making the request. 5. Load each Pokémon's data. This is done from cache if possible, which is usually possible because the Pokémon will have just recently been loaded for you to interact with it in the first place. 6. Assert that all Pokémon are distinct and all belong to the same user ("the Recipient") 7. If the count is 12 or fewer, figure out of it is a Party Click. This is true if all individuals are in the Party right now, were recently in the Party (a "phantom" is cached for a short time when a Pokémon is moved out of the Party to allow for this), or are in the Showcase. 8. If it is NOT a Party Click, assert that they are all in the same Field. There is no "phantom" for this, so if you're mass-clicking someone and they happen to move a thing you were clicking out of the field, the interactions will fail. This is fairly rare though, especially in comparison to moving things out of the Party (looking at PKRS...) 9. Validation complete, initialise buffer for counting results and rewards. 10. For each Pokémon, check to see if an interaction has already been made by the user today. If so, skip it. 11. Get the Pokérus host, Niet's Counter, Garthic's Counter, the V~Wave, the Recipient's Gemwish badges and any other applicable EXP bonuses. This is "loaded" for each Pokémon, but it is memoised so that when the second interaction attempts to load it, it's already in memory so good to go. This means that the code style is inefficient, but the code itself is fine. 12. If it is an Egg, load the Party (also memoised so it's only done once). Check each hatched Pokémon to see if it, when reduced to its base form, matches the Egg's numeric Dex ID (ignoring forms). This involves looking up potential Mega Evolutions and Paradoxes, as well as Forme-changes and regular Evolutions, "reversing" them all to get back to the base stage. This is globally cached so rarely actually needs to be evaluated, but it is done here if needed. 13. If it is a hatched Pokémon, evaluate its Level (this scales EXP gain linearly) and its Nature (for flavour modifiers). Nature data is typically always in cache too, but Level is calculated using a very old and slow linear search through the EXP table. (A level 100 Pokémon involves 100 comparisons to check each threshold. For comparison on PFNext (and PFQrv2) it uses a binary search that requires only 7 "higher or lower" guesses to find the level.) 14. Apply additional modifiers such as Niet's Bonus, the Birthday bonus, Hypermode, PKRS and "helper ranks" (they get +10%) 15. If it is an Egg, also apply a "new user" modifier. New users hatch their first 200 or so Eggs slightly faster to help get them moving. 16. Apply Interaction Point bonuses. 17. Calculate Credits gained. 18. Save the interaction into the queue. Experience is updated in Memcache but is only actually saved the next time the Recipient loads that Pokémon. At this point the queue is processed. This is to adhere to the policy that "only the owner of a piece of data may modify that piece of data" which helps avoid race conditions which would otherwise lead to EXP not being counted. 19. If the user is logged in, check the PokéDex to see if the target is registered in there. If so, Wishforge badge progress can be accumulated. 20. Increment total reward buffers, and go back to step 10 for the next Pokémon. This may repeat up to 40 times for a full Field. 21. Once all interactions are done, apply the total gains to the user (Credits, IP gain, stats, Wishforge progress, Fossil progression...) 22. Record/update stats on "interactions made today" (for History stats) 23. Load the Daycare. Advance its progress by the amount of interactions made. If a cycle completes, process it and produce an Egg if successful. 24. Load the user's Party. If the user has an EXP. Share and/or an active Lucky Egg, grant EXP to party members. 25. Record/update stats on "today's interactions" (for Clickback - note this is a separate record from the similar one in step 22) 26. If the Tournament is an interaction-based one, progress it. 27. Load the Dojo. If there are Pokémon without Training Bags, roll RNG to potentially find one. If they have a Training Bag active, progress it. 28. Check for active Story Events that involve interaction-based objectives and progress them if appropriate. 29. If the user is NOT logged in, check for validity and award Delta Points to the Recipient if applicable. 30. Format the results of the interaction, such as updated EXP bars for the Party page, and return to the browser.
So... yeah, that's a lot. It might just be one click of the mouse (or keyboard button press) to you, but the server has to do this for every single interaction (or batch of interactions). In a best case scenario, a fully batched Field interaction would involve about 150 database lookups (of which around 90 should be in cache, leaving 60 to actually be fetched from the database), and something like 85 to 90 database writes. And that's a best-case - it's worth noting that the engine PFQ is running on has a tendency to load more data than it actually needs to, which isn't terrible but it's certainly not helping. All of this was fine when activity was low enough that the server could handle it. "Unfortunately", as we've discussed in another recent announcement, activity has been drastically rising across the site. More people are actively playing, and they are playing more actively than before. Add to this the availability of QoL and CSS-based additions like the one-button click CSS (which is very clever btw!) and it's no wonder the server has been struggling to keep up.
At some point tomorrow, I will be turning on an experimental update. The goal of this update is to give the server some "breathing room". If all goes to plan, there should be next to no impact on gameplay for the vast majority of users. Furthermore our more intense players will start receiving some visual feedback on how well the server is coping with the larger amounts of interactions being made, allowing you to clearly see the progress happening live (as opposed to being stuck waiting for nebulous "lag" to pass). It should be noted that leaving the page too quickly may result in some interactions not being counted. "Too quickly" just means that the UI hasn't yet confirmed that interactions went through. In the case of the Party (or multi-profile view) this is when the buttons are still greyed out and haven't yet been replaced with "Thank you!" text. (Thanks to today's update, the "Get More" button will automatically wait for the "Thank you!" text before actually getting more, to ensure no progress is lost!) On the Fields page, the "Interactions sent" counter will now have a "(+X)" addition next to the number. This indicates the number of pending interactions that you have made but haven't yet been processed. Be sure to let it tick down to 0 again to ensure you get full credit for all interactions made! We have been testing this on the Development version of the site, and here's some feedback from the testers:

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

I tried to break it. I could not. It even worked first try in some places. Is this what being a good programmer feels like?

QUOTE originally posted by Eltafez

There's no hindrance and it's a fun "minigame" to keep the number from dropping. The "minigame" ends when you're done with the last field and you're rewarded with a stretch/hydrate break.

QUOTE originally posted by Terabbit

I found that with my usual setup - QWER binded to left click utilizing the one click CSS in mass clicking and QoL for party clicking. That the biggest impact was finishing a batch of 50 parties/showcases which had the longest wait for the server to receive interactions, however this wait did not feel any different than what is currently on the live server when clicking a 50 list of parties. The counter UI in field clicking is a great visual for understanding what needs to be sent to the server. It is tempting to fight the pending numbers to go up but the more you do that the more you gotta wait when you're at the end of a users field XD As someone who really didnt want anything that might slow down my clicks, this feels seamless. It will take some adjusting especially for users like me who rely heavily on CSS but overall it feels nice!

QUOTE originally posted by Methos

Testing this update in the dev environment, the differences had to be pointed out to me, because there was no noticeable change to my gameplay. I don't believe that any healthy gameplay style will be adversely affected. Unhealthy gameplay styles... well, maybe reconsider your style. Your hands will thank you.

QUOTE originally posted by System Salamence

I get to usleep() for a few microseconds. I also get to use the 429 Too Many Requests status code, which is as close as I'm gonna get to telling your browser to "go away" (temporarily). Grumpy Dragon approves. 10/10 would update again.
And some user feedback will be collected here too!

QUOTE originally posted by Deadlock21

Changing number in brackets make my brain go brrr. Very satisfying. 10/10

QUOTE originally posted by ConsHive

It might just be me but I've noticed that when clicking fields the server is running a lot faster than what it was yesterday. Which is really nice. Either way, watching the (+x) in fields is lovely, and as said by Deadlock makes my brain go brrr. So at least on my end things are going smoothly and I'm liking the change.

QUOTE originally posted by Tempura778

As someone who clicks with QoL, stack and two thumbs (mobile moment), I enjoy the (+X) counter, it allows me to see when the interactions have been counted before I swipe off the page: especially important with the blitz of a SLE and/or PokéRus Great addition, for sure!
The experiment will run for a few days to gather data on its impact, and then a decision will be made on whether to keep it, revert it, or adjust it.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
Juku's AvatarJuku
Very interesting!! Looking forward to seeing how this affects clicking, but from the looks & sounds of it, it doesn't seem like it'll be all too different! Plus, I like the idea of being able to see the (+X) number trickle down; I enjoy watching the "Interactions Sent" number within the Fields pop up bit-by-bit as I click, so this'll be a bit fun, I think, haha! ^v^

Juku | They / She / He | 22

Very in-depth and helpful explanation! This should serve as a helpful reminder for those who risk their hand/wrist health while not ultimately affecting a large majority of users. I'm prone to do the 1-click css while watching a tv show, but I do tend to peep over and make sure I'm actually clicking something that makes sense 😂 I might miss a few clicks at the end, but that's my "punishment" for not paying attention, so I have no qualms with this!
Us weirdos have to stick together! Team Techtonic Rage for May:
Score: 1025
Icon credit to Kattling on DeviantArt
EstherGamer's AvatarEstherGamer

I tried to break it. I could not. It even worked first try in some places. Is this what being a good programmer feels like?
This one made me smile, it's so true. Trying to make it work, you get an error, can't find the problem. Actively try to break it, it works perfectly.
Avatar is an edited version of Sky Forme Shaymin's portrait from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, edited by me. (Sprites by me)
Raziya's AvatarRaziya
Oh neat! I know what I'm going to try to break tomorrow 😈😂 I kid but seriously it will be nice to reduce lag overall even if there may be a minor adjustment to be made for lunatics who six finger click on mobile with CSS some of the swiftest fingers 🥰
Score: 19,016
team poison march 2024 trophy by teaspoonsoup!
Skye Damaelia's AvatarSkye Damaelia
This sounds really interesting! Would love to give it a try, especially to see how high that number can go :3 Also-

QUOTE originally posted by Raziya

lunatics who six finger click on mobile with CSS
How could you call me out like this! jwgehehdue
Will make this fancy at a later date: For now, pfp by Dachsbuns! ^^ Also: I have a joint trade shop with Lisander, now!
LizzieLuna's AvatarLizzieLuna
I use a css (that I don’t really understand bc I don’t code) and it is DRASTICALLY improved! I just tried to beat it, and I couldn’t until I got to the end of my party batch. Thanks again for all the effort you’re putting in! Edit: my daily clicks had been 60k and dropped to 10k lately with all the lagging. This will really help get those variant eggs 😁 EditEdit: I just got 1k party clicks in less than 5 minutes, but it killed my Spotify. I’m gonna jokingly say it broke my phone before it broke the new code. RIP 🪦 My Cleaning Music
Type Race Score: 2448
TR Credit: Hakano Riku/Guide
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]

QUOTE originally posted by LizzieLuna

I use a css (that I don’t really understand bc I don’t code) and it is DRASTICALLY improved! I just tried to beat it, and I couldn’t until I got to the end of my party batch. Thanks again for all the effort you’re putting in! Edit: my daily clicks had been 60k and dropped to 10k lately with all the lagging. This will really help get those variant eggs 😁 EditEdit: I just got 1k party clicks in less than 5 minutes, but it killed my Spotify. I’m gonna jokingly say it broke my phone before it broke the new code. RIP 🪦 My Cleaning Music
The code isn't live yet, this is just a plan XD
LizzieLuna's AvatarLizzieLuna

The code isn't live yet, this is just a plan XD
Well maybe I’m standing in better signal ha. I’m 3 feet from my usual recliner. How embarrassing 🙈 Just count me as a placebo
Sagidamas's AvatarSagidamas
Did... my CSS script just get namedropped in the dev update (I think)? [nervous monkey gif] Either way, the progress meter sounds like an awesome idea! I hope it comes with a way to "detect" it via CSS, in which case I'm looking forward to updating the "open 10" button so that it actually lets those last couple interactions load before leaving the fields page. :)
winterbraid | they/them | usually most active around daily reset one button fields and other CSS (last updated: 11 May 2024) typerace: ghost | score: 14551 | next: dark avatar by fubukit (Cubbychoo)

Pages: 123··· 789

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page