PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Inventory design - opinions needed!

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Completed >

Pages: 12

Niet [Adam]'s Avatarhypermode-12.pngNiet [Adam]
admin1.pngbooster.pnghypermode.pngarceus.pngd+.png
So the current Inventory system uses a nice, simple four-column layout to present all of your items, grouped by category. Trouble is, very quickly you might get an Inventory like mine... It's crowded, ugly, and the drag-and-drop arranging of items is broken. Vertical Farm Page fixes some issues, such as that drag-and-drop thing, but still, it's huge, and I haven't even programmed a large number of features (can you imagine that, plus Arceus' Plates and other Forme-Change Items? Not to mention future plans of secret stuff...) So this thread is your opportunity to shape PFQ. I'd like for you, the users, to try and improve the design of the Inventory screen. Features like manual sorting are optional, but bonus points if you can make it work. To present your design, please construct an image of what it would look like. It doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough to get your idea across. Accompany your image with an explanation, in particular describing how features of it would work. If a suitable design is presented, the Inventory page will be updated and you can brag about how you helped PFQ improve :p Designs will be looked over by staff, and we collectively will work together to choose a winner, or if the current system should be kept. EDIT: I have updated the Inventory system basing it on ideas by JBWarrior and Constantine. There is no longer an option to sort your inventory, but I've ensured that items are already sorted in an order that makes sense. Feedack welcome!
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
JBWarrior's AvatarJBWarrior
superior.png
I suggest the use of tabs. Something similar to this: (Forgive my crappy storyboarding skills. :P) Instead of displaying everything at once, and since there are already categories of items, display those inside of tabs. Users could be allowed to reorder those tabs to their liking (similar to dragging the entire categories with the current inventory). And same for the items within the same tab. That should help the final design be less crowded than the current, and if a similar idea was used for the popup inventory from the "Berry Garden" and "Give Item" interfaces, it could also make those "a little" more compatible with certain devices (like my smarthphone who apparently doesn't like scrollable areas within pages - it doesn't show scrollbars in the first place). Speaking of the Berry Garden, today if you try and click on an empty soil patch it will bring the inventory popup, displaying all the items and categories. Assuming only Berries (any category) and Mulch can be chosen there, the system could also display only those tabs instead of the entire inventory.
Koriand'r's AvatarKoriand'r
champion.pnge+.png
Hopefully you don't mind me copying the existing sprites [//I like the small sprites so I'm using those]. What if, to be consistent with the current site, we did it in a similar way of the notepad? So we could sort the groups of items into custom/preset folders? I don't think custom naming of folders would be a huge issue, but I dont code so I could be wrong. So a huge inventory that looks like this could have folders that are part of it. So after sorting, you could have: this? And people who would like a big farm page, could just not sort the items, and people who like a compact farm page could sort them into a tiny space? I personally do like drag and drop, since it's helpful for me when I go to the berry garden on a device +I can drag the berry I want to the top before so I dont click the wrong berry, but I do see why some people might not like it. I think maybe there could be a settings button that enables/disables drag and drop. -- Or perhaps a completely different idea, just making the items part of the nearby places? Then it wouldnt affect the farm page at all +you can have buttons like on the top of the farm page. //just an idea oops
Constantine's AvatarConstantine
retiredstaff.pngchampion.pngd.png
Excuse my horrible work, I'd draw it but I'm to lazy to power up my scanner-printer. [1] Navigation Arrows:- The arrows act as navigation to the other items that are available. As you can see by the image there are only six options available, pressing either one of the arrows will swap the options around with the next available options. For example: Account upgrades, boxes, gems, berries, key items and evolutionary stones becomes: rare berries, special berries, special evolutionary items, form changers and anything else that may be added. [2] Buttons:- Header buttons are simply buttons that once clicked will bring up their respective content on the page. For example pressing the account upgrade button will bring up the account upgrade part of the inventory, pressing the gem button will swap it to that one and etc. [3] Title header. A simple title to remind the user just which part of their inventory they’re in. [4] Contents: The Inventory contents of that section will go here. Nice and simple, it’s a big space where all the items of that particular heading can be viewed without issue. Hopefully the large space will be enough for all items to be viewed. As for ordering items: Why not use something similar to the way fields can be organized?~
♔ Fae King Give me equality.
superior.png

QUOTE originally posted by Constantine

Excuse my horrible work, I'd draw it but I'm to lazy to power up my scanner-printer.
Pfft, "horrible". Top work compared to mine. ;) Also comparing it to my idea, I... think I'd be perfectly fine with this choice of design too. There are plenty of similarities; to an extent, replace my tabs with the buttons, add the navigation arrows and title header... and that should be pretty much it. :P
gibstack693's Avatargibstack693
collector.png
I'd kinda like it if you could have an option between the old design and new design, like having the vertical or horizontal option. At least right now, it actually looked really nice for me, but I'm sure it'll look bad later.
I like both the old and the new systems, however, the new system is definitely more adaptable for future implements. It's also a lot easier to grow berries, since only the berry categories pop up, which is a lifesaver of having to scroll though the entire inventory each time to choose one rare berry. It's kept nice and clean, which is very nice, and it fits right in with the look of PFQ.
Constantine's AvatarConstantine
retiredstaff.pngchampion.pngd.png
I like it, though my opinion is highly biased. Ever thing is neat, tidy and I don't see an issue arising when it comes to clutter. I already have quite a sizable inventory as it is and this works just fine and dandy. Edits: -High 5's JBWarrior- Some good work there.
superior.png
I'm happy with just buttons and without sorting option; that means we won't spend hours trying to find the "perfect" order for our items. :P
djinn's Avatardjinn
elite.pngd+.png
Forgive my lack of suggestional feedback for ideas. However I will say this... Speaking as someone who uses their mobile device for nearly 100% of their time on Pokèfarm. The old Inventory Interface was horrible. I had incredible difficulties with. giving items for Pokèmon. This new interface is CLEAN and easy to use. My suggestion is to maybe have an option to add our own tabs for things like this. 'Most used items' or to customize our own tab for our own perwonal use. Thanks~
- Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?
Avatar "Pentaclops" by Gomis. Permission to use image here.

Pages: 12

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page