PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Replacement of 'Gender' from Outfit Customization

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Completed >

Pages: 1234567

Mourning's Avatarhypermode-12.pngMourning
hypermode.pngarceus.pngd.png
even without new art, i fully support! i honestly feel like the neutral avatar fits me best, but i’m a trans man and it doesn’t feel right picking it, just to me. i know one of niet’s concerns was that the mainline pokemon games have gendered players, but just because it’s been that way in the past, that doesn’t mean it can’t improve! better to improve than stay set in old ways

mourning | he/it | 20

your friendly local bug/electric trainer :3
My silly journal! Bug!Electric!credits

credits

Code @RAINB0W Forum Icon @Bea on Twitter TR Trophy @Cherushii78
Type Race Score; poison.png 870
sëlkïr's Avatarhypermode-12.pngsëlkïr
hypermode.pnggrandmaster.pngd+.png
3 month bump ^-^
Check out my shop! ^-^ I've got Summons, Gems, S/A/M, and I'm taking hunt requests!
Honestly the avatars need a good changing no matter how you look at it. Changing the labels to being purely a body type, versus a gendered label, would be nice as I have friends who would feel comfort from it. As someone on the more questioning side... I see no harm. It lets people feel more at ease, and for those who aren't affected, it does them no harm. Now, I'd just love to see more diversified bodies in general but that's a whole other topic. Full support! Edit: to add on a bit. Personally, I'm more curvaceous and don't even feel well represented by the current trainer sprites. And for those against the idea of changing the labels... why? Who does it actually hurt? Children aren't going to be hurt by a 'body type' label versus a gendered one. Hell, i think it's more damaging to keep it gendered, as it doesn't let them understand other people. It doesn't let them see that there is more than 'boy and girl'. This also lets them relate more to the sprite, as they can say 'it looks like me!' over being forced to choose between options that do not really represent them. Just my thoughts anyways.
summon_lug.png
applekrisps's Avatarapplekrisps
grandmaster.pngd.png
support! this is coming from a transmasc genderqueer person who identifies with masculine terms the most
there's a lot more to it, but for simplicity, this is all that's relevant
-- personally, i didn't think about the labels applied to the body types much, and rather than picking the body type that would best represent me physically, i went with the "male" option, because that's what i would ideally look like. that being said, even if i'm not bothered by the wording as an individual, that absolutely doesn't mean there isn't an issue! a change to the phrasing would (presumably)
i'm not sure how complex it would be to code? i'm imagining simply replacing a couple words, but i don't know anything about coding. either way, Niet's stated he'll put in the effort if it's a good suggestion, so i'm sure he'll make it work if it's a worthwhile change.
be very simple. and, as has been stated multiple times before, it would help people who are uncomfortable with the labels feel more at ease with choosing their preferred body type, and wouldn't affect those who don't care. so... yeah! i'm all for it c:

edit

after thinking on it a little more, i'm adding this for a bit of clarification. the reason i'm not personally affected by the current phrasing is because i'm picking what's closest to how i want people to perceive me. if i were to choose what's physically closest to me instead, i would probably be picking "neutral." however, when i thought about what i would do if i were picking the avatar that most represents me physically, but i had a larger chest, it made me pretty uncomfortable to imagine myself having to pick the "female" avatar instead. while my experience with gender is very complex, i can almost for sure say that i'm (mostly)
an exception would be if we're close and they're being used jokingly!
uncomfortable with feminine terms being used to refer to me. okay that was long so basically: if i was under different circumstances, i would definitely be uncomfortable with the current wording my answer is still support!

call me Scott! | he/it, ey/em

certified edward elric enjoyer i read PMs, but don't respond to them. sorry!
pronounsjournalcredits

credits

Code by RAINB0W Avatar and Pagedoll by me Tiny Icons by Juku, F2U
Angeliccandy's AvatarAngeliccandy
booster.pngarceus.pngb+.png
Full support.... I think we could use more customization and with that being said I would love to see better representation for everyone. It's well overdue to say the least. With that being said... Be careful how you word things, as what happened above, posts can come off as mean, and rude. That's really not needed here, it should be about better representation for all. So please be kind. Edited after more replies since I realized my tone was a bit harsh.

Slightly long

My personal feelings (I know they are not needed and maybe not wanted) as a Straight CIS women I have ALWAYS supported people wanting to be comfortable in their own skin. Regardless of how you identify or look seeing customization options that can represent you make it more inclusive for everyone. With that being said, I think we need to be careful how this post is directed in the future.
ʚ♡ɞCandy ☆ 33 ☆ She/Herʚ♡ɞ
Full support! Considering the (understandably) limited range of what avatar creators in general can achieve... Ultimately, changing the phrasing to something more objective seems like it would not only be significantly faster/easier to implement
At least, I think so?
than adding to the already significant workload of artists team, I also believe that it would only benefit those who could be uncomfortable with the implications/presumptions behind the current choice of words (and probably go unnoticed by the ones who don't pay much attention to it?)
  • Me
  • Hunting
  • Links
✦ Critter ✦ he/they ✦ 21+ yo ✦ +1 server time
Avatar made by me. For my use only, don't share outside PFQ. PM or here to commission one. ☆ Bait made by me. PM if you want to use, don't share outside PFQ.
i.pngx1/x.pngx0/l.pngx1 April TR: fighting.png y.pngo.pngp.png
☆ Go to my shop for BOGO50% specials!
Alright. I know already posted. But that was me from a couple months ago I have changed I swear. So. Time for a really long explanation.

Background

I'll start with my background. I am the most "normal" or (what is deemed normal by the society) girl you have ever seen. Literally. I support unique or pride people but me myself? I am the most "normal" girl that probably exists. Well, something close to that. I do have eccentric tastes but that's out of topic. Hey! This has gotta be here. There are lot of Pride, Trans, etc on here. I just want to say I stand at the most average viewpoint ever.

My Opinion

Support. For a number of reasons. Reason Number One: To break typical stereotypes. Okay yeah I know that sounds serious but really, it just means that hey, we don't say "girl" or "boy" anymore on website like avatar generators or asking what you want to be referenced to, instead we use "pronouns". I was thinking PFQ could help by simply saying "body type" :D Number Two: Why the heck not? Okay yeah that also sounds really dumb, but really, I don't see a reason why not. Let's take a look at two different standpoints: People who an issue with this(let's just say issue for now): Change it! People who don't have an issue witht this: Huh? Oh cool. Like, nobody who doesn't care if their body type is referenced that way is going to be affected by this. Well, I imagine most people. Probably. But point being, people who don't care about won't be affected. Sure, they might be confused for a little while, but isn't that how it works every time Niet decides to change something major on here? Third point: age group Alright. I don't know if this applies to everybody. But when I was younger and didn't understand how the world worked, I pretty much had two thoughts: Everybody was either a boy or a girl. I've never met someone different until I was in middle school anyway. That is NOT how I think now and I know things are different but we're talking Kindergarden and first grade here, forgive me. So imagine an eight-year old walks on here and signs up for the game. Let's imagine this eight-year old is a boy. The boy goes "I'm a boy, therefore let's pick the boy avatar!" Isn't that how eight-year olds generally think, right? So therefore he does not see a "gender" option only a "body-type" option. Now, does the boy care? Of course not! There are whole images on here that accompany. He'll probably just pick whatever his definition of "boy" is! And besides, this might end positive, letting the eight-year old boy know that everything isn't seperated into just boy and girl. There's stuff "in-between" too. This could break the typical stereotypes too! And if don't think one website can change a lot, it can. There's almost 500+ users online every day, and how many of these may be children? Besides, if one website starts doing these things, it might trigger a chain! So it's mostly a positive experience for every one!
Maybe this ended with me overly dramtic...
Star | She/Her | Psychopath
BORED TO DEATH!!
Collecting
summon_dce.png x 500 summon_jir.png x 500
Sells a variety of things!
Credits
Full credits here. PFP => Salty_Lightning on Pinterest Button => Kaelwolfur
bioethicists's Avatarbioethicists
grandmaster.pngd+.png
Support! I feel like the difference here is that in the main series games, the gender selection influences other aspects of the game like pronouns or even relationships. As far as I can tell, the avatar only impacts appearance + nothing else? So it seems reasonable to change it to "Body Type A/Body Type B" etc + does not seem like something which would cause controversy. Makes it more clear you are only setting your avatar + not also your pronouns or a gender "slot" somewhere in the game. I understand ppl's requests for different avatar bodies but honestly I'd be fine with just a naming shift since new body types sounds like it could be a bigger ask.
Niet [Adam]'s Avatarhypermode-12.pngNiet [Adam]
admin1.pngbooster.pnghypermode.pngarceus.pngd+.png
I have changed the word "Gender" to "Body type". But I'm not sure I'm comfortable with "erasing" the identity of every cis or trans person just to try and appeal to the nonbinary in particular.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
Enbees's Avatarhypermode-12.pngEnbees
hypermode.pngarceus.pngc.png

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

I have changed the word "Gender" to "Body type". But I'm not sure I'm comfortable with "erasing" the identity of every cis or trans person just to try and appeal to the nonbinary in particular.
I hope this doesn't come off as particularly argumentative, I'm not the best with tone over text, but I feel you've misinterpreted the spirit of the suggestion a bit? The point of the suggestion wasn't simply for nonbinary people, it was for all trans people, as well as cisgender people whose bodies don't fit in with the norm. Like I mentioned in another reply to this thread, a cisgender woman with a flat chest isn't male because of her chest size, but if she wanted to represent herself, she would end up choosing the body type labeled male.The same goes for binary trans people- a binary trans man might want to choose the body type with a larger chest size because it matches his body, but in doing so would be saying his body is female. (I mentioned in an earlier reply that personally, as a transmasc person, that doesn't bother me, but I know it does others, so I think it's worth mentioning.) I wouldn't see it as erasing anyone's identity, simply opening the door for those who don't feel comfortable misrepresenting themselves to feel more comfortable. On another note, though, it seems the previews under the body type section are now cut in half, at least on my end! Just wanted to mention that in case something got messed up while rewording the tab, and it isn't intentional or just on my end!
psychic.png Current Type Race score = 6431 psychic.png
Saving for Memory Stick!
818/200
All art by me.

Pages: 1234567

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page