PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Angel of the Shadows

Forum Index > Pokémon > Pokémon FF > Angel of the Shadows >

SakuraWolf23's AvatarSakuraWolf23
9. Murkrow's Treasure
Angel followed the trio in silence for several minutes, unsure what to say to a group who had been her idols for the longest time. She’d tried to explain her reverence to people before. Only her father understood, though. Neither approved that the trio repeatedly lied to, cheated, and stole from Trainers. But what made her admire them the most was their perseverance and dedication. No matter what happened. Regardless of their failures. They never gave up. Their willpower, creativity, and the fact they did not let their losses set them back was something she thought everyone should respect them for. Sadly, it seemed more people focused on the negative than the positive. She glanced hesitantly towards them, trying to get the courage to speak and figure out what to say. James caught the first look and paid no mind. After the fourth time, he paused. “Is there something I can help you with?” “Oh. Uhm.” Angel blushed slightly and almost looked at her feet like a child being scolded. “Sorry. It’s just…I’ve been with Team Rocket for a long time. So long, I’d lost hope that I’d ever have the honor of meeting you, let alone traveling with you. I know I’m a nobody, too, so…” “And? We’re nobodies as well and look at us. The whole world knows our names. It just goes to show that, even if you’re a failure, you’re still a somebody. You can still make something of yourself. So long as you’re doing what you love, nobody else’s opinions matter.” “Enough with the feelgoody stuff,” Meowth interjected, “We gots a long ways to go and can’t be pausin’ all the time for small talk.” “Meowth’s right, you know.” Jessie walked off. “C’mon. We can get to know each other better when we stop for lunch.” “Could always just find “the twerps” and hope they blasted us off in the right direction,” Angel muttered softly, but not quietly enough, for James burst out in laughter. He gave her a friendly slap on the back before he, too, continued down the path. Silence fell yet again. After a while, Jessie and James began to point out spots and tell her about a memory of that place. Most of it was of battles with Ash or other Trainers—which she had already heard many of secondhand from those involved—but it was something else entirely to hear it from the point of view of the “villains”. Finally, they chose a spot slightly off the road and went about the necessary tasks to camp for the night. Angel almost questioned why they weren’t eating luxury in town, but then she remembered. Team Rocket. If anyone in town recognized them, they would be chased out. What a lonely, scary life this had to be for them. After she shook those thoughts off, she placed her knapsack beside a tree and wandered about to make herself useful and collect things like twigs and water. For a little bit of that time, she looked around for things to eat that weren’t poisonous or otherwise bad. But, ultimately, she chose not to get anything she saw because she wasn’t certain enough. Angel made a mental note to pick up a book on wild flora and fauna the next time she was in town. Ten minutes later. They sat around a nice little fire while they waited for the potatoes and wild mushrooms to roast to perfection. Nobody spoke, and she could feel goosebumps on her arms. It was as if the mood had completely gone south. Halfway through, she could no longer take it. “Did I do something wrong?” Jessie sighed, fork midway to her mouth. She set it down and grabbed her Rocket Radar. A few clicks of buttons later, she passed it to Angel. A picture of her with Sylvie covered the top half of the screen. Not just any picture, either. It was the one her mother had taken of them and the Trainer who won the 10,000 PD and the Symbiosis Badge, but with everyone else cut out. How in the world did they get this picture? It was only on their Hall of Fame wall in the Flamestryke PokéTel. She scrolled down to read the message:
Attention: Agents of Team Rocket. With heartfelt sorrow, I announce the betrayal of one of our own. According to a reliable source, Alexandria Flamel chose a crucial mission upon which to turn on us. As of now, she is excommunicado and will be treated as an enemy. If seen, she is to be detained and questioned for the whereabouts of the items she stole. Use whatever means, within reason, to gain the necessary info. Anyone seen aiding her in any way will be seen as a traitor. End Memo.
Angel handed the Radar back to Jessie, who started to speak but thought better of it. James broke the new silence. “We investigated it. Mally is the one who reported this. Giovanni knows she plays dirty. We think that, since he has followed through with this, knowing Mally’s history of lying, well…he must have reason to want you out.” “I’d recommend rethinking whatever it is you plan on doing and just turn yourself in. Giovanni’s bad side is not a place you want to be.” Jessie picked up her fork and returned to her meal. When Angel opened her mouth to explain, James cut her off. “We don’t want to know. The less you tell us, the better chance we can get away with this little bit of help.” “It’s really important, though. Kinda life or death.” They looked at each other and went into another of their huddles. Not long later, James turned back to her and shook his head. “We can’t…Without Team Rocket, we don’t know what to do with our lives. But we promise you. If we figure it out and feel the same way, we’ll do what we can to help without helping you.” “And if you don’t? Feel the same way that is?” He shrugged. “Honestly, kid. I like you. So hopefully, it doesn’t come to that.” At that moment, Angel glanced at Jessie, whose gaze was behind her, towards Saffron City. Emotions flashed through her eyes, and she instantly grabbed her Rocket Radar from beside her. Angel became even more confused when Jessie met her eyes, mouthed an apology, and leaped to her feet. “How dare you think you’re worthy to sit with us?” Angel’s mouth fell open, unable to process what she’d just heard. How in the world did they go from friends to enemies so quickly? A male’s voice sounded from behind her. It sounded like Iggy’s voice, only without the accent. Ahh. Now she saw what was going on. They were protecting the only life they knew. And besides, if they did end up on her side, their continued access to Team Rocket’s technology, information, and equipment was necessary. Friends and allies in high places, just as Giratina wanted. “Well, well, well. All the misfits are in one place. This makes our job so much easier, doesn’t it, Mal?” She stood and turned around to see Mally and Iggy. Only, Mally’s grandfather was no longer old. Instead, now they both looked to be about her age. How had she not noticed the disguise? She was usually very good when it came to such details. Then again, tired or distracted minds rarely ran at full wattage. “Four against one are very good odds. Don’t you agree?” The question was addressed to Jessie and James to see where their loyalties lay. Angel backed off so she could see everyone at once. At practically the same time, everyone brought out a pokéball and enlarged it but did not set the Pokémon within free. She looked back and forth between them several times before she chose Mally as the biggest threat. “What do you want with me? You already have my most precious Pokémon. There’s nothing else you can take from me.” Though she already knew the answer, it was also clear that she needed to play along for the sake of her new friends. “You can drop the innocent act. You have something that belongs to us. Hand it over.” Iggy held out his hand. His tone made it clear that this was a very serious matter. Angel crossed her arms. “And you have something that belongs to me. Since neither of us are likely to give that up, well, " she shrugged. I guess we’re at a Catch-22.” “Are we really, though? I highly doubt you can tie your shoes without daddy’s help.” Mally glanced down at Angel’s Velcro Mismagius shoes. “Case in point, I guess.” “First. I happen to like playing with it. The sound calms me and annoys others when done long enough. Second. I’m more than capable of taking care of myself.” Mally took a step towards her and laughed when Angel took one back. “Looks like you’re all bark and no bite. Give us what we want, and we will go away. Simple as that.” She took a few more steps back until she was partially hidden in the cover of the trees. They could still see her, but it just felt safer to her. Deep down, she knew they were right. About everything. There was no way she would get out of this without some sacrifice. Angel tilted her head as she remembered something her dad had told her long ago. To carry around some loose PD in her pocket. That way, if someone ever tried to steal from her, she threw that at them and ran as fast as she could in the opposite direction. This was a bit different but the same, nonetheless. After a little while, she stepped forward. She faced away from her new friends, as she didn’t want to see the looks on their faces as she did this. “On one condition. Give me back my Ebony. He is of far lesser value to you, and your progression than retrieving the items will be.” Everyone put away the pokéball they’d grabbed earlier when Mally did. Seemed they all understood that this wasn’t going to come to a fight. Mally reached up to her strap and grabbed a pokéball. When she held it to face Angel, the Mega Sableye sticker was visible. Angel carefully removed the knapsack from her shoulder and set it on the ground. She then reached into the outer pouches and took out six vials. Their pink glow lit up the area, almost like they reacted to the sunlight. “Only two remained at the Silph Company. Where are the other two?” Mally tensed, eager for a fight. What was with that woman? James said she was known to lie. That, combined with her few interactions with the woman, made it glaringly clear that she was nothing more than a drama queen who enjoyed power plays. Angel never understood why those in power had to make others feel inferior. All it did was make you a jerk. She pretended to be surprised and confused. “Other two? I left four there. There was another Agent in the room right as I left. Perhaps she took it.” Her words must not have convinced them, for Iggy demanded she open her bag. When she complied, he knelt beside her and took a closer look. But Angel knew all he would see were her Pokénav, Pokédex, and an extra set of clothing. Well, if you could call a Leafeon costume ‘clothing’. So long as he didn’t lift the costume, he wouldn’t find anything. She held back a sigh of relief when he stood, turned to Mally, and nodded. Suddenly filled with unease, Angel closed her knapsack and stood. She smiled nervously in the hopes the situation had been resolved and she was no longer a target.” “You may have thought you won, but I assure you. That will never happen. Now why don’t you be a good little girl, and,” With all the strength she could muster, Mally threw the pokéball. “Fetch.” Her mocking laughter followed Angel as she took off after her friend. Unfortunately, she didn’t get very far when it was snagged out of midair by a Murkrow. The single silver feather marked it as the one she’d returned to Team Rocket long ago. He cawed at her. “Since you took my freedom, I shall take your most precious treasure. Only when you release me shall he be returned.” After a caw she assumed was meant to intimidate her, he flew back toward Jessie and James. While he pecked at James’ head, he subtly dropped the pokéball behind him, then headed back toward Mally and Iggy. Angel’s hands clenched into fists and trembled at her sides with barely held back anger. She no longer needed to discover some overwhelming truth about Team Rocket. The proof was right there. In how Mally and Iggy treated her and the trio. In how quickly and easily Giovanni turned on her. How could she have been so foolish?! She watched the crueler pair as they retreated and knew it was one of those things that she had to let go of. It was of greater importance to get the three Shadows and two vials to her father. Besides, Ebony was in far better hands with Jessie, James, and Meowth than with Mally. When she could no longer see any of them, she released all her rage and fury into a single scream.
Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din || Tai'shar Manetheren! SamanthaNBishop on Archive of our Own and Wattpad! Gaming || Writing || Pokemon Fan Fic: Angel of the Shadows Avatar of Trainer, Alexandria "Angel" Flamel, by Me Banner for me by Furret on PokeHeroes. Do not use without permission.
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page