PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Special Designation for 6IV Pokemon

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions >

Pages: 12

Citrisfur's AvatarCitrisfur
There are a good number of Pokefarm players who play by IV breeding, and more who are expressing interest in the concept. I think having a way to recognize the current breeders' efforts in designating 6IV pokemon with a special icon, like shinies, albinos, and melans, would be appreciated, and would intice others to also IV breed themselves. An added 6IV designation icon would: - Help with identifying 6IV Pokemon at a quick glance: -- Helps find them in the shelter and in shops/fields easier -- Players can quickly check whether a hatched Pokemon is 6IV, instead of having to open their summary page - Prevent 'dyslexic' mistakes - players reading a 13 stat as 31 - Make owning a 6IV Pokemon more satisfying (IMO), they feel more "special" - Generate more interest in IV breeding onsite - Identify 6IV Pokemon in fields users may not be aware they own - ...and I'm sure more! I think even having a special hatching animation, like S/A/Ms currently have would be awesome, but that may be another suggestion on top of this one. And drawbacks: - Some people breed for 6IV with 0s instead of 31s (for fun, I suppose), unless there was a separate indicator this wouldn't cover that case. - Maybe more? Please suggest with concerns
Creator of PokeFarm Pokemon IVs;
a userscript that reports your best owned Pokemon.

PM if you're interested in or are an IV breeder and you'd like to join our group!
Salamaunder's AvatarSalamaunder
As an IV breeder (both here and in the mainline games) I'd love this! I have dyslexia & dyscalculia, and don't always read a pokemons summary page correctly as a result - one time I gave my friend a '6IV pair' only to later realise one of the 'mons had a 13 stat and not a 31, oops - so some kind of designated icon or something similar would be super helpful.
Current icon was commissioned from G'raha Tia, character is mine!

QUOTE originally posted by Salamaunder

I have dyslexia & dyscalculia, and don't always read a pokemons summary page correctly as a result - one time I gave my friend a '6IV pair' only to later realise one of the 'mons had a 13 stat and not a 31, oops - so some kind of designated icon or something similar would be super helpful.
Right, good point! This happens all the time. I'll add it to the pros list, thanks!
JTelcontar's AvatarJTelcontar
I'm getting interested in IV breeding and would definitely support something like this! Could even be that there's a "full" 6IV icon, and an "empty" 6IV icon to indicate one way or the other, for an easy visual.
[ avatar photograph © jtelcontar (me) ]
As an upcoming IV breeder in the Pokefarm community, I find myself unable to fully support the proposed introduction of a special icon to designate 6IV Pokémon. While I appreciate the intention behind the suggestion and acknowledge its potential benefits, several considerations lead me to believe that it may not be the most effective solution to address the needs of breeders and players alike. Firstly, the existing functionality of the Dojo provides a robust quality-of-life enhancement for checking IVs, offering a convenient and efficient means of verifying Pokémon stats without the need for additional indicators. This feature already serves the purpose of streamlining the identification process, mitigating the necessity for a separate icon solely dedicated to 6IV Pokémon. Furthermore, the proposed 6IV designation runs the risk of overlooking the diverse breeding strategies employed by players. Some breeders opt for 0IVs over 31IVs for specific purposes or challenges, and failing to accommodate these variations could inadvertently marginalize certain playstyles. Inclusivity is paramount in fostering a thriving and diverse community, and any feature implementation should strive to embrace the breadth of strategies and preferences embraced by players. While the proposal has merit and underscores a genuine desire to enhance the breeding experience, I believe that exploring alternative solutions and refining existing features may better serve the needs of the community as a whole.

Calypso ~ Adult ~ She/Her

~GRAFAIAI COLLECTOR~ ~IV BREEDER~

It is 04:22 AM Mon in Calypso's Cave PFP by Ashe Moon

QUOTE originally posted by Calypso Halcyon

Firstly, the existing functionality of the Dojo provides a robust quality-of-life enhancement for checking IVs, offering a convenient and efficient means of verifying Pokémon stats without the need for additional indicators. This feature already serves the purpose of streamlining the identification process, mitigating the necessity for a separate icon solely dedicated to 6IV Pokémon.
I have to disagree with you HEAVILY here. I in no way find the dojo a convenient or efficient way of checking the IVs on Pokemon. In fact, I find it so much not so, I have my PPIV script written to overhaul that page's functionality, and also to solve another problem: Pokemon's IVs do not appear in the tooltips in a user's standard field; only in the dojo. In no world can I call a function convenient when it requires me to perform convoluted actions in order to make use of it. If, for say, I want to check the IVs of my Pokemon but all of my training slots are being utilized, I have to remove a Pokemon just for this purpose (and assumably reassign it afterwards). I also did not propose this suggestion as a necessity, just as a fun and convenient indicator: I do not believe Pokemon from PF1 or the Pokewalker require icons and yet they currently have them. This suggestion is meant to be something similar to those.

Furthermore, the proposed 6IV designation runs the risk of overlooking the diverse breeding strategies employed by players. Some breeders opt for 0IVs over 31IVs for specific purposes or challenges, and failing to accommodate these variations could inadvertently marginalize certain playstyles. Inclusivity is paramount in fostering a thriving and diverse community, and any feature implementation should strive to embrace the breadth of strategies and preferences embraced by players.
Sure, but I feel this is a large stretch. I don't fully believe indicating 6IV Pokemon as perfects with an icon invalidates other people's breeding/playstyles. Additionally, 0IV breeders were specifically mentioned in the suggestion as a possible downside, as it seems to be the same amount of effort for no recognition, but a potential solution for this was also raised in the response above yours by JTelcontar.

While the proposal has merit and underscores a genuine desire to enhance the breeding experience, I believe that exploring alternative solutions and refining existing features may better serve the needs of the community as a whole.
So, not to be rude, but what are these alternative solutions? I'm kind of lost to what you're referring to here and this just seems like a super general call out to fix something else I'm not aware of. The original solution isn't really to fix any problems; I just thought it nice to have an indicator of a 6IV Pokemon that seems to inadvertently fix some issues people have with managing their 6IVs.
OK, so I'm on my mobile in the middle of the night and have limited stamina to reply point by point, but I'm going to try to keep up and respond. I want to be clear in that I am explaining why I do not support, not trying to intentionally argue, spam the feed for visibility, etc. to me, this suggestion seems like a cosmetic preference of adding an additional icon; I just can't support that when crafty users such as yourself have already found workarounds for displaying perfect iv status8 regarding dojo and removing 'mons from training; challenge also has ability to highlight your perfect 6s and there isn't the additional steps of removing, adding, removing, reassign as referenced in your post
WytchyLynx's AvatarWytchyLynx
This is a bit of a long one so grab a drink, maybe a snack! Tldr; I love and support this suggestion! I am an IV breeder, in a family of IV breeders that play, and have been networking with tons of other players who are IV breeders. There is definitely a large (and still rapidly growing) player base that would benefit from this and it wouldn't in any way hurt or hinder other players from continuing their own play styles. Currently we do have the dojo which highlights 6iv pokemon and makes it easier to check an entire field all at once. However, another downside not already mentioned for this particular feature is that it's not known. There isn't anything anywhere that tells players "the dojo highlights perfect IV pokemon" and almost every single IV breeder I've spoken too didn't even know this feature existed. I myself stumbled upon it by accident. The userscript citrisfur made was mentioned as another option we can use instead so I'd like to also touch on that point. While it is true that it exists, and is really well done, it isn't an option at all for mobile players. I myself strictly play on mobile and had to dig out my handheld PC just so I could try it out. It's awesome but I'd have to get on a PC anytime I wanted to use it again and that's just not something I enjoy the idea of. I don't like playing on PC period. Another issue with that is the work that goes into installing the userscript. A kid or someone with no coding knowledge is going to struggle with installing tampermonkey and putting the userscript in properly. I've seen this issue happen with players as well. Now for reasons why I think this would be great! For those of us who already IV breed it would make our lives so much easier when it comes to long hunts where we are having to check the IVs of hundreds of pokemon. I'd be able to see at a glance the moment it hatches that it is a perfect IV pokemon and I can then sort it into the proper field immediately rather then tossing everything into dump fields and checking it in the dojo before we release, then having to individually send each pokemon into my IV fields. There is also the added bonus of non IV breeders pulling our eggs from the shelter and hatching them then surprise! You just got a perfect IV pokemon. Maybe they now get interested in IV breeding, maybe they become interested in sparring and training in the dojo, maybe it opens up other ways to play and have fun for them! I can't tell you how many times I've been searching through someone's free or UFT fields and they have a random 5-6iv pokemon sitting there that they didn't even know about. An icon seems like the best and easiest solution to me and I really don't see a downside other than Niet would have to code it in, but he's already said in other posts he doesn't shy away from any coding challenge. Anyway, there's all my 2 cents. Thanks for reading, and thank you citrisfur making such a great suggestion.
Lynx • They/She • 35 • IV Breeder ShopDiscordJournal

to me, this suggestion seems like a cosmetic preference of adding an additional icon; I just can't support that when crafty users such as yourself have already found workarounds for displaying perfect iv status8
I'm interpreting this to mean you don't support an official site implementation of a community-added feature. If this is what you mean, I again don't agree with you. There are plenty of examples of community made additions on any site, game, what-have-you that become official content because they are well made or highly requested features or popular interpretations of the media. I also have to say there isn't a variation of this implementation already, either. The Dojo, QoL, and PPIVs do not have any functionality regarding Pokemon IVs in the shelter or on the party page. This simple icon addition would easily help in those areas without any needlessly complicated workarounds the community would have to create. The best I can think of is users already labeling their 6IVs in their fields as such by renaming them, but this takes a lot of manual checking, prevents the user from using the naming feature for its intended purpose (naming them), and is prone to errors as mentioned in the first post by users misreading their Pokemon's IV stats.

regarding dojo and removing 'mons from training; challenge also has ability to highlight your perfect 6s and there isn't the additional steps of removing, adding, removing, reassign as referenced in your post
I admit I was not aware the stats highlighted in the challenge feature. But again, this is a workaround and not really the intended feature of that function. "Challenge" implies you are using the page to challenge others, not to primarily use it to check your own Pokemon's IVs. And to add on to what WytchyLynx says, most players are not aware the Dojo displays Pokemon IVs, or that QoL has a feature to highlight perfects.

QUOTE originally posted by WytchyLynx

The userscript citrisfur made was mentioned as another option we can use instead so I'd like to also touch on that point. While it is true that it exists, and is really well done, it isn't an option at all for mobile players. I myself strictly play on mobile and had to dig out my handheld PC just so I could try it out. It's awesome but I'd have to get on a PC anytime I wanted to use it again and that's just not something I enjoy the idea of. I don't like playing on PC period. Another issue with that is the work that goes into installing the userscript. A kid or someone with no coding knowledge is going to struggle with installing tampermonkey and putting the userscript in properly. I've seen this issue happen with players as well.
Yeah, these are just issues that come with using a Userscript that isn't implemented locally on site. I'd love to make it more easily available to use but we're not quite at that state yet. :3 But even personally, using my script, I'd perfer for site-implemented indicators on the perfect Pokemon; again they're easier to view and make them feel special. And acknowledgement from the staff through a site update for IV breeding would be the largest influence on introducing new players to the playstyle.

QUOTE originally posted by WytchyLynx

There is also the added bonus of non IV breeders pulling our eggs from the shelter and hatching them then surprise! You just got a perfect IV pokemon. Maybe they now get interested in IV breeding, maybe they become interested in sparring and training in the dojo, maybe it opens up other ways to play and have fun for them! I can't tell you how many times I've been searching through someone's free or UFT fields and they have a random 5-6iv pokemon sitting there that they didn't even know about.
I'll also add this to the first post! I don't know how often this happens but you sound like you speak from experience, haha. And I think a way to let users become aware that they've been holding a rarer Pokemon without realizing is always a good addition.
I want to thank you for the polite discourse. I've been looking at this from multiple angles as others chime in, and in the end, I feel a move to support is warranted.

Pages: 12

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page