PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Mobile Disabled Editor Default

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Rejected >

Obstagoon's AvatarObstagoon
ultra.pnge.png
Suggestion Title: Disabled Editor as Mobile default Suggestion Summary: The suggestion is to have the editor disabled when the system reads the browser as a mobile or from a mobile device with IP Address. Most of the time when people are browsing on mobile we see more new people, or just some people who don't know, have the editor still on for mobile and we see posts with drawn on words and multiple repeated letters that can be hard to read. It would be, all in all, an ease of life upgrade for mobile users and can help those who don't really know the editor makes for some wacky text errors. Positive points: We will no longer have people who are having trouble typing a post and making a bug thread for it or having posts that look like "ttthhhiiisss" because the editor and phones/tablets do not work together. Negative points: Perhaps with some browsers or phones Sally may misread how the site is being accessed on the site and will not automatically kick off the editor. Reason For Consideration: This is easier for mobile users and will also remove the visual frustration of glitchy looking posts because someone was using the editor on mobile.
Avatar is of my Pokesona and Crazy's pokesona 🦡Ryu - Julian is thy name, 23 earth rotations🦡
schleifi's Avatarschleifi
grandmaster.pngc.png
I support this! Even though the site saves your changed settings the initial change/ fix isn't intuitive for new users.
Avatar was created for me by ArtsieRosie. I paid for it and own all rights for it.
Yahan's AvatarYahan
arceus.pngsss.png
If I understood this correctly, this isn't necessary. I can turn the editor on and off on my phone. (I'm actually typing this on my phone with the editor off)
I use tone tags! Ones I tend to use the most are /gen
genuine
, /nf
not forced
,/nm
not mad
, /lh
light hearted
, /npa
not passive aggressive
, /pos
positive
, /neu
neutral
, /s
sarcastic
. (Hover over for meanings~)
Credits: Avatar
made by Anna-Ravenrock
|| Signature
my design. Luvdisc is one of my Pokemon OCs adapted from an official Luvdisc sprite, girl and the quote are both from Erin Entrada Kelly's novel You Go First
ultra.pnge.png
Well, yes, you can do that, but there are also users who don't know that you can turn the editor off and some users don't know that the editor is what is causing the problem with their typing. That's what this thread is suggesting a fix for. I'm not saying that you can't toggle the editor, just that if Sally detects that someone is using a browser on a mobile device, she automatically shuts off the editor for ease of access.
ReshiStar's AvatarReshiStar
champion.pnge.png
You've got support from me on this end. I remember the first time I encountered that issue, being unable to type properly because the editor was screwing up the screeen as i typed, making me unable to see what i was typing, regardless of me being able to fix it within seconds of realizing what was the problem, the editor can be very confusing for new players on mobile.
Avatar commissioned by Eddieween, for my usage only. Character owned by me.
Ilyriss's AvatarIlyriss
ultra.pnge+.png
I noticed that entire PFQ site is becoming mobile-friendly and thus, making people more online, bringing new users and growing the community. Since Pokéfarm has a strong forum part, forum-related aspects should be attractive, even more for newbies. I support this. (Same, using on the phone and with editor off)
Well... This is a signature .-. ✮✮Avatar is a Chibi OC by Silver Raven in their Art Shop✮✮
Sei's Avatarhypermode-12.pngSei
retiredstaff.pnghypermode.pngmaster.pngc.png
There is no mobile site. The site you use on the desktop is the site you use on mobile. As for defaulting to having it be turned off, you've got the opposite problem: Would users even know of the editors existence? It becomes a case of which is more problematic.
ultra.pnge.png
The idea wasn't to make it all disabled. I was thinking of it detecting it by the IP Address because I know that the IP tells what OS and browser someone is using. So it would detect mobile OS like IOS or Android and disable it. I hope that didn't come out with the wrong tone
Nanicar's AvatarNanicar
master.pngd.png
I absolutely love how the editor color codes BBCode, ultimately it makes code easier for me to deal with, especially with massive strings of it. However, on mobile it gives me a couple issues. First of all, I primarily use Chrooma Keyboard on a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. I like to use the gesture typing feature, and if you don't know what it is then I suggest Googling it as usual. :P But the problem here is that it would appear the editor doesn't know how to handle it. It always skips spaces that should theoretically be input automatically between words, and sometimes skips words. If I don't use the gesture typing feature, it takes care of that but it would appear that the editor treats [Shift] like [Backspace]. I've determined that this seems to be an issue in compatibility between the editor and Chrooma Keyboard, as [Shift] on the default Samsung Keyboard (which I dread) works fine. Those are the only two issues I've encountered with it because I gave up on the editor for mobile almost immediately. To demonstrate this disaster, I'll type up the same little paragraph. The first will be without the editor, as intended. The second will be with the editor on and I won't revise for demonstration purposes (i.e. I won't use backspace, I'll just keep typing). Note: Both are typed in my usual way, gesture typing on Chrooma Keyboard.

Editor Off

Hello, everybody! My name is Raca, and I previously had joined this site as "goweegee365." I live in America and my two favorite Pokémon are Bayleef and Furret.

Editor On

h
Technically, trying to capitalize this first letter deleted the closing bracket of my [HIDE] tag.
ello,everybodymynameisaca,andpreviouslyhadjoinedthissiteas "goweegee365."iliveiAmericaandmytwofavoritePokémonareayleefandurret.
It's a mess, a huge mess, and clearly the editor isn't all that compatible with my preferred input method. However, I solved this problem by clicking a button. To me it doesn't make sense to spend time trying to program in something that can be done by tapping on a button. So while at first it seemed compelling, I've decided that this suggestion probably would take more effort to implement than it's really even worth. Now, if somehow the editor could be changed to respond properly to text input on mobile devices, that I feel would fix the issue instead. However, there are larger parts of PokéFarm Q that I believe should at very least take priority.
tl;dr The issues mentioned aren't worth programming something in that a button we already have could easily do. If anything, the solution to the bigger issue could likely involve changes to the editor itself, not just whether it's on or off. Even so, there are more important things to be dealt with for now.
Avatar portrait created with the Stardew Valley character creator.

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page