PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Coders and such

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Rejected >

ASmolBird's AvatarASmolBird
champion.png
I'm quite sure someone though of this before but, I noticed that programing and coding takes a while so. Maybe have an event for people who wish to help out ? I'm bad at wording things sometimes, but it may relieve a bit of stress to have more coders. You don't have to use my idea, its fine. Its not 100% perfect, but maybe it could help ? I hope it helps
schleifi's Avatarschleifi
grandmaster.pngc.png

QUOTE originally posted by FluffyKiwi

I'm quite sure someone though of this before but, I noticed that programing and coding takes a while so. Maybe have an event for people who wish to help out ? I'm bad at wording things sometimes, but it may relieve a bit of stress to have more coders. You don't have to use my idea, its fine. Its not 100% perfect, but maybe it could help ? I hope it helps
The main goal of the recode and PF Q in general is to make it as close to 100% perfect as possible - and adding a new coder is somewhat likely to cool the current process down. A programming code isn't just a programming code. Yes, for a huge part it's knowledge that you can learn and be good at - what you, according to your own words, might not be. And after that it's a vision of how you want things to function and how you want them to look. Also you need to know how things are working so far in order to be able to work efficent. Data Base management is a word that comes to my mind. It's 100% not my decission and so I am neutral to this, but I heavily doubt that adding additional programmers to the team would help fasten the process right now. I think we all can agree that we'd love to see the updates comming faster, but it is what it is and seeing how you are a "Beginner" you can still set yourself some personal goals until more features are available. Keep in mind, you CAN claim a free month of HyperMode, you can fullfill your PokeDex, if you are active enough you can get enough Credits for a PokeRadar and buy it from the Shiny Page and so on. I know it can feel taunting to see things like the Scour mission being locked away from you for now - but there is a good amount of things you can do right now and if you focus on a personal goal that you can achieve, you'll have an easier time to wait for the actual updates to happen. Note to self: Maybe I should make a post in the Guide section about what people are currently able to do in order to give them some motivation and give them an easier waiting time.
Avatar was created for me by ArtsieRosie. I paid for it and own all rights for it.
champion.png
Thank you for replying and I see what you mean. I wish you the best of luck
schleifi's Avatarschleifi
grandmaster.pngc.png
Just adding this to clearify, I am neither a mod nor should I be associated with the team. I just had the time to give you a longer post that's just supposed to sum up my understanding of the recode and the current actions!
Just adding here, I believe it's been said Niet doesn't want any more programmers for reasons I don't remember. ^^'
Call me "Padfoot" please. They/them. Avatar done by panpixel Flarotis design by PFQ
champion.png
Ah all right. I'll boost this thread up incase people have a similar questions about progammers, just so peeps can be informed.
Lurhstaap's AvatarLurhstaap
collector.png
I don't know for sure what the reasoning would be, but having been a head admin for a similar site in the past, I suspect it's the old 'too many cooks spoil the soup' problem. In a nutshell, past a certain point, more people trying to work on a single project is no longer help and just becomes added chaos. Every project has an ideal number of people. Some are best done by a single person. Others are best done by hundreds or thousands of people. If you try to add more people than the project needs, you end up with a LOT of problems. In the case of programming, coding has a lot in common with art in the sense that every programmer has their own style and way of doing things, and they might not mesh well with that of other programmers, even if working in the same language(s) on the same project. And if one person doesn't properly comment their work, it can be VERY difficult for another coder coming in to figure out what's going on in the code and how to edit it properly without causing more problems. I had that exact problem at the site I ran - the original coder was no longer with the site and had failed to comment a single line of the site's code, resulting in a total nightmare for our new coder. In short, if the site administration feels they have enough coding talent, they certainly do.
Kodiyak's AvatarKodiyak
ultra.pngb+.png

QUOTE originally posted by PadfootTheWolf

Just adding here, I believe it's been said Niet doesn't want any more programmers for reasons I don't remember. ^^'
^ He said that because in the time that it would take to teach someone Noot coding, he could have coded a whole aspect to Pokefarm himself.
Sei's Avatarhypermode-12.pngSei
retiredstaff.pnghypermode.pngmaster.pngc.png
Unfortunately, Niet's coding is completely self-taught - and because he's the sole programmer of the site and it's in his particular style, he has almost no time to be taking on an apprentice of sorts - the closest thing he has to this is Garth, if only because they're roommates and are both directors of the company in which this site is part of. There's also a lot of legality stuff involved, not to mention the security risks. In short, while we do only have one (amazing) programmer, it means the site updates might be a bit slow... or fast, depending on the mood Niet is in. I've seen him pump out massive features within a few short days. Some take longer because he's trying to figure out the most efficient way to go about it so it's 'future-proof'. In short, thank you for the concern and offer, but we've got dis. :3

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page